• You are here: Home
  • BGU News
  • Clearing student Siobhan was determined to study at BGU

Clearing student Siobhan was determined to study at BGU

13/08/2013

Trainee teacher Siobhan Jarvis was so determined to study at Bishop Grosseteste University that she rejected an offer from another institution and entered the Clearing process in order to secure a place.

Siobhan (20) from Peterborough hoped to be accepted onto the Primary Education course at BGU, but on results day three years ago she found out her grades weren't quite high enough.

She had enough points for a place on a Primary Education course at another university but her first choice was BGU, so she and her family called the Clearing call centre in Lincoln.

"I'd wanted to come to BGU since an open day I attended in year 12," said Siobhan. "I really liked the ethos of it all and how BGU upheld the value of teaching, and I definitely didn't want to go anywhere else.

"When I got through to the Clearing call centre and discussed my grades I was told I couldn't get onto the Primary Education course, but I was offered a place on the Education Studies and Special Educational Needs and Inclusion course.

"I accepted the offer without really thinking about it! I'd come across special needs during placements and work experience that I'd done. I'd enjoyed special needs work but I'd never come across it in a university course."

Siobhan graduated last month and enjoyed her degree so much that she's now staying at Bishop Grosseteste University to take her PGCE (Postgraduate Certificate in Education) to enable her to become a qualified teacher.

"I really couldn't have studied anywhere else and there's nowhere I'd rather do my PGCE!" she said. "I'm actually glad that I studied a subject rather than a general education course as it's opened more doors to me.

"I'll be starting my PGCE in September and when I've qualified I would like to work as a special educational needs co-ordinator in a Lincoln school. A lot of my school friends studied at BGU and I want to stay in Lincoln as I love the city."

Siobhan says students who don't quite get the grades they need for their first choice university should keep their options open and not be disheartened.

"Going into Clearing is no indication of your ability because I still graduated with a 2:1," she said.

"Even if you don't end up at the uni you wanted I know some people who came to BGU through Clearing and they had a fantastic university experience."

A level results day this year is Thursday 15th August 2013. The Clearing hotline number for UCAS applicants is 01522 583698.

Bishop Grosseteste University will be holding an open day for Clearing applicants on Friday 16th August 2013.

For information online visit www.bishopg.ac.uk/clearing.

Filed Under: news