• You are here: Home
  • BGU News
  • Clearing opened doors for Georgina

Clearing opened doors for Georgina

14/08/2013

Finding a place through Clearing wasn't easy for 20-year-old Georgina Morton, but looking back she says the process opened new doors for her.

Georgina, from Manchester, had wanted to enrol on the Early Childhood Studies degree at Bishop Grosseteste University in Lincoln, but when she received her A-level results she found she hadn't made the grade.

She picked up the phone and began calling all the universities she had applied for, and on the second day of Clearing she had a call from BGU offering her a place on the university's Heritage Studies course.

"I was put through a phone interview process and I was actually the very last person to get a place on that course," said Georgina.

"Finding out my grades and going into Clearing was a very stressful and emotional process, but once you start it can go quite smoothly. You just have to be proactive and not give up hope."

Georgina will begin her final year in September and says applying through Clearing turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

"I really enjoy my course, as it's full of new challenges and opportunities," she said. "I love BGU and when I didn't get on to the course I'd hoped for I was gutted. But it's funny how things work out - despite the fact I came here through Clearing I feel like I fit in here and I can't picture myself anywhere else."

Georgina's advice for students who go into Clearing is simple: don't waste time - take action!
"You can very easily get bogged down by feeling sorry for yourself, but there's no point wasting too much time crying about it. At the end of the day if you want something you have to go and get it.

"That's what I did: be pro-active, and don't rule out any course or uni. If someone offers you a place and you think you can handle the workload, go for it! The sky's the limit.

"I know if you're going through Clearing everything you want feels so far off, but it's not - you just have to be brave enough to go and get it! You have to believe in yourself; if you don't then who will?"

After graduating next year Georgina hopes to forge a career in the heritage sector. She already volunteers with a number of organisations, including Bishop Grosseteste University, because she wants to give something back.

"I'm a student rep and a student ambassador at BGU and next year I will be President of the First Aid Society," said Georgina. "I do things like this for BGU as I am grateful to the university; after all, they gave me a chance to prove myself when no one else would. They helped me so I do my best to give back and help them."

A level results day this year is Thursday 15th August 2013. The Clearing hotline number for UCAS applicants is 01522 583698.

Bishop Grosseteste University will be holding an open day for Clearing applicants on Friday 16th August 2013.

For information online visit www.bishopg.ac.uk/cleari

Filed Under: news