• You are here: Home
  • BGU News
  • BGU student runs in City of Lincoln Council election

BGU student runs in City of Lincoln Council election

Nicole PounceyA student from Bishop Grosseteste University (BGU) is standing for candidacy in the City of Lincoln Council election this week.

Nicole Pouncey, PGCE Secondary student at BGU, is standing for the Liberal Democrats Party when the city goes to the polls on Thursday 3 May.

Nicole is standing in the Minster ward, where BGU is situated, having lived in the area most of her life. She has been a member of the Liberal Democrats Party for eight years and this will be her third council nomination.

The City of Lincoln Council is currently controlled by Labour, who hold 26 of the 33 councillors, alongside six Conservatives and one Independent.

Nicole said: “As a Liberal I hope to help people to better understand their choices beyond the two horse race between Labour and Conservative and aim to promote liberal values within local politics in order to support all members of our society equally to bring cohesion and balance.”

BGU has a big presence in Minster ward and Nicole believes the University plays an important role.

She said: “BGU supports many young people to gain employment beyond their studies, which is a real asset to our community.

“The on-campus facilities such as The Venue, Curiositea, the chapel and Sport Centre makes for a fantastic community atmosphere which is enjoyed by both students and the wider community.”

As a PGCE student at BGU since September 2017, Nicole has now personally experienced the benefits of studying at BGU:

“BGU has supported me to achieve my full potential in teaching and secure a permanent role for the next academic year.

“After years of study I feel like BGU has brought it all together and allowed me to apply everything I have l learnt.”

Find out more about training to teach at BGU.

Filed Under: pgce